TRAVELS WITH GREASE AND PADDLE

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Across the River and Into Washington

Flo's ass is really hanging low, especially with all that delicious Bend grease in the back. I considered staying in Bend to get her fixed, but found a place in Anacortes, WA instead. That way I can take my bike on the ferry to Vancouver island while she gets her lift and tuck done.
The drive from Bend to Vancouver, Wa was a mix of ugly chain store strips and beautiful mountains and forest. It was nicely broken up by a quick scramble on the Pacific Crest Trail, near Mt. Hood. I then made my way to Aloha, OR to meet up with Brian, a guy who responded to my shameless internet plea for oil. When I turned onto his street I saw a horrific sight in his driveway: three cubies which should have been gleaming in the late day Oregon sun, were filled with cloudy, soupy oil. Apparently Brian uses half hydrogenated oil. He has a heated tank, unlike me, and has run thousands of miles. My post tank heating system should be enough to thin the McJuice, but I've never tried it. A reasonable person would have politely declined rather than experiment on a huge road trip. Not wanting to insult Brian and his generous offer, and overcome with a gambling spirit, I poured ten gallons of the pea soup in
my tank....
Trip stats so far:
2,030 miles
$15.40 fuel costs
1 creature killed (mourning dove)

No comments: